Friday, April 6, 2012

According to Wikipedia, Keep Calm and Carry On was a propaganda poster produced by the British government in 1939 during the beginning of the Second World War, intended to raise the morale of the British public in the event of invasion. I think most shabby enthusiasts believe it comes from a creative shabby merchandiser.  This can be seen everywhere-- pillows, wall hangings, bookmarks, etc.  I decided to post it on my blog because I believe it to be very good advice! I want everyone reading this blog to stop, and think of a time that you had to "Keep Calm and Carry On."  I was thinking about this myself and I immediately knew when I had to do this very thing.

Back in December of 2009, I was sitting at my computer when my bladder felt like it was on fire!  I thought I had a bladder infection, or worse, a kidney stone and was having renal colic.  The only place I had any problem was right were my bladder is located and it felt like it was burning, and having spasms at the same time.  Of course, this didn't start until after 5 p.m., so I began drinking tons of water and taking AZO.  The next day, the doctor said I had blood in my urine and probably had an infection.  She gave me antibiotics and told me to call by Friday if I didn't feel better.  Well, Friday came and I told my doctor's assistant that I wasn't any better, in fact, I was worse.  I was then sent for an abdominal CT around 2 p.m.  When I had finished the CT, the technician told me to stay in the dressing area with my lovely "scrub" outfit on, and they were calling my doctor. (Clue:  If this ever happens to you, IT IS REAL BAD!)  They then let me go, but refused to say anything about my CT and said my doctor would call me.  I was still thinking I had a kidney stone, and wasn't too worried and went Christmas shopping with my oldest son.

I was having a wonderful time shopping for Christmas presents at my local Kohl's (love them) department store, and thinking I probably would not hear anything from my doctor until Monday.  I remember exactly where I was when my cell phone rang--in the T-Shirt section of the young men's department.  My doctor is not one to put things "kindly".  She informed me that I had a 25cm (9.84 inches) tumor on my left ovary and that I needed to contact my OB/GYN immediately for surgery!  I got off of my cell phone absolutely STUNNED! I had an almost 10 inch tumor in my abdomen?  Wow!  Why didn't I have symptoms before now? Then, I had to KEEP CALM and CARRY ON, while I checked out my purchases at Kohl's.  I must have looked stunned too, because the cashier asked me if I was okay.  I waited until I got to the car to cry.

I went to the best gynecological surgeon I know and was then sent for an ultrasound of my abdomen and had a blood test--CA125.  Thankfully my blood test came back an 11, which she said was good!  But when I had the ultrasound the technician said my tumor went all the way up my left side to my middle torso.  When I told my doctor what she said, the doctor said I must be mistaken. (But I wasn't.)

On January 5, 2010, I had a complete hysterectomy.  When the doctor talked to my husband, she said she felt that I had a 75% chance of having ovarian cancer because it "looked" that way to her and that my tumor weighed 10 pounds.  Then, it was my husband's chance to BE CALM and CARRY ON!  For two whole weeks, he told everyone that I was fine and that I just had a harmless cyst.  He didn't tell anyone what he was told. He didn't tell me, my parents, my children, anyone!  Can you believe he was able to do that?  All he did was PRAY.  Praise God that the doctor was wrong, and my biopsy came back negative for any signs of cancer!    

I have decided that I will make some of these wall hangings for my store, but they will say:
                     KEEP CALM and CARRY ON and PRAY!


I hope I didn't bore you with my story.  I have to say now that having a hysterectomy has been a blessing and the best thing that has ever happened to me!  Just think, if it had been 5 or 8 years down the road, the outcome may have been very different!

Hugs,
Kathy@delightfulonceagain.com

2 comments:

  1. Bore me! I was on the edge of my seat!! Having been a nurse, my first thought was that it was not cancer because it was to big,,,,,,but, I kept calm and read on! Aren't those men something, how they can keep secrets! Wow, glad it turned out OK. You have a Happy Easter! and thank you for your way to sweet comment!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, first, how do you hide wedding dresses from your hubby, you must not share a closet. I just took your order for the decals, have fun, it will open up a whole new world of crafting for you. You should have them in 2-3 days.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete